New to TCR?
Greetings and welcome to the Timber Creek Regiment Band Family!
This is always an exciting time of year, and we eagerly look forward to meeting and getting to know all the incoming students and parents. THANK YOU for choosing Timber Creek High School. We Look forward to growing with ALL of you and creating positive musical experiences and memories that will last a lifetime!
Preparing for Rehearsals and Band Camp
The TCR Medical Team and Volunteers will be on standby to provide any medical treatment for acute injuries during the Tuesday rehearsals and summer band camps.
Historically, most injuries are related to poor hydration promoted by inadequate preparation prior to rehearsals.
Please have your child properly prepare for Tuesday rehearsals and each day of band camp by doing the following:
- Drink enormous quantities of water before and after each day of camp, as well as Tuesday evening rehearsals. Bring a large (at least half-gallon) water jug filled with water/ ice so you can continue to hydrate throughout each day. Water will be available to refill your water jugs.
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep each night before band camp and rehearsals.
- on Tuesdays prior to evening rehearsals. Avoid greasy foods, dairy products, foods high in sugar, if these are known to upset your stomach with the heat. Caffeinated drinks should be avoided, as they can increase dehydration.
- Bring quick-to-eat snacks (i.e.: granola bars, nuts, raisins, fruit/veggies, crackers, dry cereal etc.) to eat during water breaks. Your body will be using a lot of energy, and it will need fuel to work without getting sick.
- Prior to departure for all rehearsals and Band Camp, apply an adequate amount of sun block to cover ALL areas of the body, especially the face, neck, entire arms, and legs. Sun block should be reapplied every 90 minutes during water breaks.
- Bring a hat/ visor and sunglasses, as these are HIGHLY recommended while out in the bright, hot sun.
- Do the following while at band camp:
- During the 2-minute water break, drink water, refill your jug, and apply more sun block as needed before returning to the field.
- Avoid socializing–instead, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Eat a well-balanced lunch.
- Continue to stay away from foods high in sugars, fats, and caffeinated drinks.
- Once home, your job is not done! Continue to hydrate at home at the end of each day. Eat a well-balanced dinner, get a good night’s rest, and prepare for the next band camp day.
- Great Shoes (track shack or fleet Feet)
- Black shorts and White/light shirts
- Gallon+ Jug
- Hat and sunglasses
- get enough sleep each night
- Take good care of your feet and sore muscles
- Drink water
- Eat plenty of healthy food to fuel the next day’s activities
In some cases, OCPS provide free breakfast and lunch – but this will NOT be enough food! Pack extra food so that your student body has the fuel it needs
- Apply sunscreen every 90 minutes
- Choose healthy food option for lunch